This artwork is part of a series of works dealing specifically with the Wall, or ‘the separation fence’ as it is known in Israel.
According to Wikipedia, “The barrier is a contentious element of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. Israel describes the wall as a necessary security barrier against terrorism; Palestinians call it a racial segregation or apartheid wall. At a total length of 708 kilometres (440 mi) upon completion, the route traced by the barrier is more than double the length of the Green Line, with 15% of the barrier’s length running along the Green Line or inside Israel, while the remaining 85% is inside the West Bank going up to 18 kilometers (11 mi) from the West Bank border, isolating about 9% of the land and 25,000 Palestinians from the rest of West Bank “.
The painting captures the resulting separation between families and peoples, and the crack in the wall hints that despite the arbitrary separation, the unity of the people may not be shattered, as has been amply demonstrated in Germany, where the Berlin Wall could not erode the aspiration of all Germans for reunification..
While the width of the Israeli ‘fence’ is 3 meters (9.8 ft) and its hight is up to 8 metres (26 ft), the Berlin Wall is only 3.6 metres (12 ft) high and 1.2 metres (3.9 ft) wide.